There is great power in your story. Taking the time to write about yourself and your life experiences will improve your life in many ways. I’d like to share a little bit of my own story with you as an example.
I was a child victim of an abusive cult. After being removed from the cult by the State of Washington when I was 16, I struggled through my teens and 20s. The things that happened while I was in the cult had left me angry and confused. But in my 30s, I discovered that writing my story has a powerful effect.
- It helps you deal with stuff. Most of us have had bad things happen to us in our lives. Writing those things down will help you to deal with the hardships and trouble you have faced on your journey. Writing about my past helped to move on.
- It teaches you self-discipline. You have to spend a little time each day in order to complete any piece of writing. When I wrote my first book, I spent two hours a day writing. In less than six months, I had my first draft of A Train Called Forgiveness.
- You’ll become a better writer. Although I had a master’s degree when I started writing books, there were a lot of little writing rules I didn’t know. As I wrote my first book, I learned more about the rules of writing.
- You can move forward. Writing stories about your past helps you to move on. I was able to find a deeper sense of peace and offer forgiveness to those who had hurt me as a kid. Writing my story helped me to let go of that earlier part of my life.
- It can help others. I’ve shared my story with hundreds of people. Many have told me how my book has helped them on their own journey. We can learn from stories. Others’ stories help us to discover things about ourselves.
Stories are powerful. I always encourage people who tell me they are thinking about writing their story about their own struggles. Even if no one else ever reads the story of your past, it can help you to heal and move on. That in itself should be reason enough to write. – dse
- Learn more about creativity
- Get new Anderhill music first
- Get special discounts
- Sign up for the newsletter