Have you ever been stuck? You know, you have plans to do something creative, but you just can’t figure out how to get started. It happens to us all. Even the best authors, artists, and musicians can get stuck. But there are ways to get unstuck.
- Stop. Trying too hard leads to resistance.
- Go to the end. Think about the final product and work backward.
- Find a parallel. Think of something similar to what you want to create and try to emulate it.
- Pretend: You know what they say. Fake it until you make it. Work on something even if it’s not going to be the real end product.
- Breathe. When we try too hard we get stressed. Our breathing becomes shallow. Take some time to do some deep breathing. Be intentional and present.
- Try alternatives. If you’re stuck at writing, try reading. If you’re stuck at painting, try photography. Do something different, but stay creative.
- Run. Exercise is a brain booster.
- Study the world. Great works of art are born out of reality. Listen to nature. Watch people. Explore the seashore. Hike a mountain trail. Walk through the city.
- Play with words. Try word association games. What’s the first word you think of when you hear the word rollercoaster? How about purple? Or tangerine?
- Don’t give up. Sometimes our best ideas come when we think it’s a lost cause.
I don’t believe in what some call writer’s block. I think we can get stuck on a specific project, but we can always write something, anything. We can always get unstuck. – dse
- Learn more about creativity
- Get new Anderhill music first
- Get special discounts
- Sign up for the newsletter